Saturday, April 17, 2010

I'll take the elephant

I'm reconsidering my stance on dogs. If elephants think they make good pets, that's good enough for me.

I have often recounted a TV program about a school for elephants in Indonesia. I saw it when I was young. It was for the now defunct Teak wood logging industry in Indonesia. At 'graduation' there was a rodeo of sorts displaying all the things the elephants could do. For the last 'event' children from the village would all come down from the stands and lie on the floor of the arena forming a big circle. The elephants would then walk over them carefully placing their feet between the children.

I sensed a bit of skepticism whenever I told the story to the point where I started to doubt that I remembered the show correctly. This video reconfirms my belief that my memory is true.

(Sorry for the Miss America moral to the story. I don't know how to cut that out.)



3 comments:

Big Myk said...

Elephants are one of the few creatures, long with great apes (including humans) and bottle-nosed dolphins, which are self-aware.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6100430.stm

Peter H of Lebo said...

Its weird that the scientists went to all that trouble with mirrors and paint when they could have reached the same conclusion by simply talking to Babar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babar_the_Elephant

Big Myk said...

George of the Jungle's Shep was one smart elephant, too.