Saturday, September 18, 2010

New Education Movie... check it out

http://film.waitingforsuperman.com/

This is a new documentary that is coming out next week. It features a couple of my colleagues and grad school teachers and I wanted to give it a plug. I'm not exactly sure what angle it's going to take, other then painting a terrible picture of teacher unions. If it comes off painting Charter Schools as "the superman" I apologize for the recommendation, but none the less I think it will be a glimpse into what my days and students are like. Hope everyone is doing well!
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Big Myk said...

I've heard that it's a very heartfelt and powerful movie. But its already ruffling feathers, and the teachers' unions, among others, are not happy. The AFT has a webpage called Not Waiting for Superman.

The problem with teaching kids today (and maybe at any time) is what Mike Dugan said in his book, Men Fake Foreplay: "I realized I laughed at the people I should have listened to, and I listened to the people I should have laughed at."

Big Myk said...

New Yorker's Nicholas Lemann calls out "Waiting for Superman" and other recent criticisms of the educational system for their oversimplification. "It should raise questions when an enormous, complicated realm of life takes on the characteristics of a stock drama." Schoolwork