Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The King of Surf Guitar plays Misirlou

On NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday, I heard an interview with Dick Dale, the King of Surf Guitar (who has just released a new CD). Of course, at one point, the discussion turned to the song Misirlou, a little tune with which you Pulp Fiction groupies may be familiar. Many nations claim Misirlou as their own, including the Greeks, the Turks and the Jews. But according to Dale, who is Lebanese, the song is Arabic. He learned it from his uncles playing it on the Oud. The word Misirlou, though Greek, has its origins in Arabic: مصر, Miṣr, meaning "Egypt." The Greek word Misirlou refers specifically to a Muslim Egyptian woman (as opposed to a Christian Egyptiotissa). Apparently, the song is about a forbidden love between a Muslim and a Christian.

My black-eyed, my wild Misirlou,
My life changes with one kiss
Ah, ya habibi, one little kiss, ah
From your sweet little lips, ah.

In any event, the song's come a long way.

By the way, this guy does all right for a 70 year old undegoing cancer treatment.

2 comments:

James R said...

I like your use of Arabic in the post. Can anyone do that? I mean, anyone who knows Arabic.

Big Myk said...

I just used my arabic keyboard.