Sunday, October 15, 2017

Summer Movie Report 2017

The carefree days of summer are over, there's a chill in the air and Halloween is just around the corner.  My summer movie report is overdue (no real excuse, however).  I only saw five films this summer.  I wanted to see more – Wind River, Beatriz at Dinner, Baby Driver and Maudie for starters– but I somehow missed them when they were in town.  As before, I try to give as little information about the movie as possible, but focus on my reaction.

Wonder Woman (released June 2).  The critics were surprisingly kind to this movie (76 score on Metacritic), but I couldn’t get passed the mostly dopey plot.  I agree with the critics to this extent:  this movie is better than other recent entries in the super hero category.  And, mostly, what makes it superior is the performance of the movie’s star, Gal Gadot.  David Edelstein, critic for New York Magazine, calls her the movie’s “only grace note.”  Linda Carter portrayed Wonder Woman in the 1970’s TV show.  Edelstein says, “It was worth waiting for Gadot.”



The Big Sick (released June 23).  Without question, this was the most enjoyable – and perhaps the best – movie of the summer.  It’s another movie about stand-up comics, and these days the entire genre seems to be in pretty good shape.  It was co-written by Pakistani comedian Kumail Nanjiani, who also stars in the movie, playing a character also named Kumail Nanjiani.  Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are great in supporting roles. 



The Beguiled (released June 23).  I liked this historical drama well enough.  Believe it or not, it’s a remake of a 1971 Clint Eastwood movie that very few today remember.  Sofia Coppola was behind this current version.  Although the movie was had no supernatural aspirations, it had an otherworldly dreamlike quality hanging about it – lots of atmosphere with just enough action to keep it interesting.



A Ghost Story (released July 7).  What can I say:  it was haunting – in a very melancholy way.  I’m not quite sure what it was about, though, except that the movie’s title is not clever or ironic:  the movie is indeed a story about a ghost.  Mostly, we learn that to tarry on earth as a ghost isn't all it's cracked up to be. 



Dunkirk (released July 21).  Here is Christopher Nolan’s bid to make a war epic.  And the critics loved it, landing it a Metacritic score of 94.  Without question, it is an amazingly taut, harrowing, visceral war movie.  And, incidentally, it’s a great date movie — Sue tightly clenched my hand throughout the entire show.  But, for me something was missing that keeps me from joining the critics.  Peter Rainer from the Christian Science Monitor put it this way: “When ‘Dunkirk’ was over, I felt as if I had been through something, but it wasn’t a war, exactly. For all its painstaking realism, the movie resembles a great big impressionist abstraction. Maybe it’s not so different from Nolan’s other movies after all.”


9 comments:

James R said...

I guess it was a slow summer. Everyone liked Baby Driver, but I didn't see it…yet. I did see Wonder Woman. I kind of enjoyed it but I can't add anything. I'll look forward to your other recommendations. The only exceptional movie I saw this summer came out in the summer of 1979, "The Tree of Wooden Clogs". It was written and directed by Ermanno Olmi, an Italian film director. It's about a poor village in the Lombard region of Italy at the beginning of the 19th century. It's over 3 hours long, so you probably want to take a break or two.

Big Myk said...

You had mentioned "The Tree of Wooden Clogs" at the beach. I assume that it's available on Netflix?

Yes, I think that it was a slow summer. But don't let that discourage you: only 24 days until the opening of "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri."

Renee said...

I would recommend Baby Driver, as would Michael but don't ask Francis about it! Wonder Woman was definitely an enjoyable film that also made me want to go out punch somebody, so that's positive. Along the superhero genre, I also enjoyed the new Spiderman reboot with Tom Holland. Everyone said it reminded them more of a classic teen movie than an action filled superhero flick. I personally was underwhelmed by Dunkirk, it was beautifully shot and well acted but I didn't have a great connection to the characters. I'm getting ready for the next crop of movies, including the new Pixar movie Coco!

Big Myk said...

"Wonder Woman... made me want to go out punch somebody, so that's positive." How is that positive? A movie that turns its audiences violent? A positive movie would be one that makes people want to go out and lend a hand to someone

James R said...

I'll hold my tongue concerning Renée wanting to "punch somebody" after Wonder Woman, but I do have a good movie for Renée (and Myk). It's called Their Finest. It takes place in 1940 in England. A former secretary is hired as a script writer for a propaganda war movie to help morale. It features fine acting, an interesting plot which calls to mind The French Lieutenant's Woman in how the movie script parallels the events of real life. Essentially it's a love story with comedy and tragedy and the empowerment of women.

Renee said...

I meant positive in terms of female empowerment and whatnot! But I will definitely check out your recommendation Jim, sounds right up my alley!

James R said...

I have another recommendation. While everyone is waiting for Stranger Things season 2, which undoubtedly must disappoint, I discovered a great season 1 series streaming on Netflix called Wanted. I really liked it. Towards the end there is some silliness, but, like Stranger Things it really sweeps you along. It's all about women empowerment and whatnot, and they do punch people out. Highly recommended, as is Their Finest, although that is not streaming and a completely different type of movie.

I'm hesitant about starting Wanted season 2.

Big Myk said...

While we're on Netflix, if you want to see a show about middle-class kids growing up in the 80's but without all the science fiction, I offer you the offbeat Freaks and Geeks. Just watching the opening credits is enough to convince you that it's a great show -- it has been described as Judd Apatow's masterpiece. (Apatow was writer and director of The 40 Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up and has been involved in dozens of other things, including The The Larry Sanders Show and Lena Dunham’s Girls.) It lasted just one season, 1999-2000, so there are only 18 shows (along with Firefly, it's been called the best show in television history that was never renewed). And you don't have worry about a disappointing second season. Among other things, you can see future stars Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, James Franco and Linda Cardellini.

Anyway, I found the show by just googling "the best of Netflix," and site after site, Freaks and Geeks was listed among the top shows.

James R said...

Thanks to Renée, I'm still not sure how she did it, but a group of us have free tickets to a special opening of "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." tonight! I'm so excited!