Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mad Men

I realize Mad Men is old news, but for anyone who hasn't watched the show, I highly recommend it. The first three season's are on DVD. I can't tell how accurate the show's depiction of the early 60's, and while I am still waiting for a sympathetic character (maybe the lack of one is what makes the show great), the story line, writing, acting are all excellent. However, after finishing the first season of the Wire and going straight into Mad Men (don't worry to all you Wire aficionados out there, season 2 is sitting on top of our DVD player waiting to be watched), we might be ready for a comedy soon.

1 comment:

James R said...

I liked Mad Men, but not enough to go past the 1st season. Perhaps I fell victim to the sympathetic character void. The show uses the 50's/60's as a sort of character which gives it a nice style. I think it was a good decision, but it doesn't add to accuracy.

I recently watched "Band of Brothers," and, other than the uniforms, it could be any men in any war. They focused on the people rather than the slang or the quirks of the age.

As those of you in your 20's are starting to realize, there really isn't much difference between one decade and the next.

The biggest difference for me between the 50's and today is that you would see a lot more empty cigarette packages strewn on the sidewalk then.