Saturday, August 14, 2010

New and Improved, not

One site I frequent a lot is Metacritic. It allows me to see how critics critique a movie without having to learn anything about the movie. It has been extremely useful in finding what I want quickly and easily. The other day I selected my link to the site and found something entirely new. Now, one of the things I have learned from my elders is that, in general, the older you get the more resistant to change you become. So, despite immediately not liking the change, I thought I should give it some time. Sure enough it wasn't quite as bad as it looked at first, but even after a few days I still preferred the old layout. Then I noticed that there was a comment section for the change. I started reading the comments and 99% of them hated the new format. Either everyone who visits Metacritic is old or they will lose their readership to Rotten Tomatoes, if they don't change back. I wonder if they will?

3 comments:

Mike said...

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2010/welcome-to-the-new-metacritic/

wow. the comments really are pretty bad.

And I agree. The amount of data on the front page of the old metacritic was much more substantial than what you see now. too bad.

Big Myk said...

Improvement: Metacritic no longer separates limited release movies from wide release movies. I always thought that that was a pointless distinction.

Decline: It no longer allows you to get a listing of recent dvd listings by metascore. You can a dvd's by date or by metascore, but the dvd metascore listing goes back to the big bang.

Also, it seems to list a lot fewer in-theater movies.

James R said...

Apparently the audience complaints meant something. While the front page is still a potpourri of media titles trying to call attention to themselves, after you select a category, there seems to be a bit more information available. And they must have listened to Myk as it seems the default is listing by metascore.