Friday, December 17, 2010

In Progress Casts its Shadow

I've long suspected that the Harvey blog AKA "In Progress" was having its impact in the world. This suspicion has now been confirmed.

Every year in December Foreign Policy magazine publishes its list of 100 top global thinkers for the past year. This list does not necessarily represent the most intelligent thinkers in the world or even those who have done the most good. Rather, the criterion is: who has contributed the most to make this world a richer and more interesting place.

After reviewing the list, I could see clearly the heavy influence of the Harvey blog. Many on the list are people that we've discussed -- some at length -- here on the blog. It's obvious that either directly or indirectly we were the source for any number of the top hundred.

Here is just a brief sample of the list of 100 discussed on the blog. Obama clocked in at #3 in the top 100. Feisal Abdul Rauf (the ground zero mosque guy) was #11. Nouriel "Dr. Doom" Roubini was # 12. Steve Jobs was #17. Paul Krugman weighed in at #26. Christopher Hitchens was #55. Ayaan Hirshi Ali showed up at #61. To give equal time to the other side, Tariq Ramadan was #62. Malcolm Gladwell was #68. Steven Pinker #69. Atul Gawande was #72. And last but not least Ian Buruma slid in at #100.

These were just the ones that jumped off the page. There are probably others. Feel free to check it out for yourself. Top 100 Global Thinkers

Now the question is: who else is reading "In Progress?"



5 comments:

james said...

Last night I watched "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" (streaming now on netflix). At one point a Yale player, near tears, reflects on his undergraduate football experience, saying "I got more out of Yale football than it did out of me."

Minus the tears, I share the same sentiment about the blog. It's helped me organize my thoughts, improve my writing, and hone my arguments.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas, readings, videos, and jokes. It's been fun watching this blog evolve and grow into something I look forward to reading regularly.

Big Myk said...

I just received my copy of Highland Park Pete's most excellent blog-worthy letter on Christmas and culinary indulgence. My impulse was to immediately get online and add my comment. (like, I never remember our Dad discussing -- as fascinating as the topic might be -- the Repeal of the Corn Laws.)

Ted said...

I have not yet read the letter (although I look forward to it next week when we head back to NH) but speaking with my dad last night he noted after reading Pete's letter he is certain he understands better how myths are started.

James R said...

This is why writers feel so misunderstood.

james said...

Can anyone scan/upload the letter?