Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cafe Bruges

Tonght, Sue, Ellen and I are headed to a place called Cafe Bruges for dinner in Carlisle. This restaurant post-dates our dinners with Ted -- it opened about a year ago. But it's our first time there. I don't know if it was inspired by the movie In Bruges, but we're kinda hoping that it was.

Not only does the restaurant offer traditional Belgian fare, but it also also features an ever-changing selection of Belgian beers and ales, considered to be among the best in the world. Here's the problem: I've looked over the beer selection, and I must confess, nothing looks all that familiar. So, I'm providing a link so people can look it over and make recommendations -- I'm thinking in particular Pete the Younger and Joe the Brewer. And everyone should try to remember that I'm in my IPA period right now. Anyway here's the beer selection: Beers & Ales. I'll be checking the comments before we leave.

4 comments:

James R said...

It's hard to beat an amusing presumption, but powerful & complex (Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue)) will do in a pinch.

Beyond that, ask the beer steward.

james said...

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Chimay Blue.

To satisfy your IPA tooth, try out Hopus Belgian Bitter or the Corsendonk Pale Ale.

Big Myk said...

I read both comments with interest and gratitude, and then promptly forgot what beers had been recommended once I got to the restaurant. I ended up ordering a draft Piraat ale, which they called an Amber Triple IPA. I didn't think it was quite bitter enough. But there was a picture of pirate ship on the glass it was served in, which was cool, it had an alcohol content of 10.5% and it was still pretty good -- all in all, a good choice, I thought. And then with dessert I had, at the server's recommendation, a draft strawberry lambic, which didn't taste like beer at all, but was fine nonetheless.

This would be a great place to go to with a really fussy beer crowd.

James R said...

As I know nothing about beer, you did well to ignore my comment. With James, it's another story. I only know about language and women, so 'powerful & complex' seemed a good choice to me.