Monday, October 17, 2011

I am your personal headache

This post is for Bill (and others who have just received a new iPhone 4S). Bill was showing me some of the phone's capabilities at mom's on Sunday. It looked very nice.

In anticipation of the web being flooded with humorous Siri videos, I will post a nice one from AppleInsider.



  • Note that, like any foreign encounter, when we aren't understood, we just talk louder. 
  • This will be annoyingly rich fodder for the Apple Lovers vs. Apple Haters for years. 
  • I applaud Apple's latest attempt at Voice Interface-Speech Recognition-Artificial Intelligence. It will take time before humans and machines can have comfortable conversations, but I suspect the real power of Siri is not so much AI (which is excruciatingly hard for language) but massive amounts of data in servers delivered over the internet (I hate the term 'cloud', but I guess I will have to live with it). Siri need not be that smart with Speech AI if it can simply latch on to a catch word or phrase as "breakfast" or "restaurant" and link it to a service. 
  • How long will it be until Jay Leno uses Siri as a comedy sketch? (see Newton)
  • The best thing Apple did for its own self esteem, was to call this 'beta'.

No comments: