Saturday, July 2, 2011

We Just Travel in Small Circles and Other Stories (part I)

When the ship came back from overseas, John was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I lived in an apartment with Bob. It was right across the street from the beach. We would go to the beach every day. If I ever saw a cockroach, I wouldn't do anything until I found it and killed it. If you have one cockroach, you'll have five hundred thousand. You would see them laying dead on store shells. I would never want to live in the south.

I would go shopping at the commissary with Nancy Callahan. She had a son Bob's age named Kevin. She was from New York City and she couldn't drive so I would drive her car when we would go shopping. There was a place in the commissary where you could drop your kids off. Kevin was afraid to stay there because of all the noise and commotion, but Bob didn't mind. He loved it.

Later when we went up to Notre Dame to take Bob to school, there was Nan Callahan and Kevin. He was going to Notre Dame too. He didn't stay though. He was kind of a shy kid.
[This is where I always point out the further coincidence that Bob didn't stay either, but that is another story.]

No comments: