Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mother and Father and Other Stories

My mother was very close to her mother. I remember when her mother died, and we went to the funeral and the cemetery afterward. We were leaving the cemetery and my mother was quite upset. As we were driving back my father asked the driver of the limousine to stop. He had a flask of whiskey in his coat and he wanted to give my mother a drink. We must have been on a highway for the driver said "I can't stop here." My father said, "You do what I tell you to do." We stopped.

Once a month my father had a meeting at the Savings and Loan. My father always stopped at Gunnings on the way back to get my mother a chocolate soda with vanilla ice cream. That was her favorite.

I never remember my father and mother arguing. They never argued. My mother would just never argue. I only remember one time when she got mad. My father went out on the boat alone and ran out of gas or had engine trouble and didn't come back until the next day. That's the only time I remember my mother getting mad at him.

No comments: