Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bach's incredible comeback over Ravel

For many years I have exclusively listened to public or "listener supported" radio. I think middle school children, who must sit for hours each day listening to lectures on appositive phrases and the properties of a rhombus, are the only ones able to listen to commercial radio. For whatever reason I've been listening to more classical music lately. Unfortunately, while public radio is commercial free, we still are subjected to "membership drives" in order to pay the bills.

Still, there is some imagination in public radio. Currently, Pittsburgh's classical radio station, WQED, is doing fund raising by sponsoring March Mania.
32 composers are facing off against each other and who advances is determined by you! If you want a particular composer to advance, simply make a pledge to support that composer. The one with the most money pledged in each match up advances to the next round. Ultimately, the Final 4 composers will face off against each other until a winner is determined!
While I was listening, Bach pulled off a stunning comeback over Ravel. I thought the whole scheme was quite clever, imaginative, and I got to listen to some good music to boot. Then, while writing this, I went to WQED's web site and saw the pitiful results. You couldn't even get into the office pool with the amounts being pledged. (Not that I have called in, but then again, I didn't join the office pool either.)

1 comment:

James R said...

I'm happy to report that the imaginative format won in the end and generated thousands of dollars as the tournament got closer to the finals.

Curiously, Tchaikovsky won the whole enchilada. Harold Smoliar, Pittsburgh Symphony's principal english horn player picked him to lose in the first round. Smoliar had Mozart beating Ravel in the final. The public chose Bach over Ravel in the second round and Copland over Mozart in the third.