Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Club

Another book/author to add to our nonexistent virtual book club. Gene Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer. It's about a future world where the sun is dying (somewhat in the vein of Jack Vance's "dying earth") and the main character, a member of the torturer's guild, decides to grant life to a victim - an ultimate sin of the guild. Think of a little Borges, a little Tolkien, maybe even some Eco, and overall a extremely well-written fantasy. He's been around for a while, so I am sure some of you at least have read his stuff - his short stories are also excellent.

5 comments:

James R said...

That is quite a surprisingly expensive paperback. It must be in great demand or in limited supply (or both).

Ted said...

Did you get to read it? How do you like Wolfe? The Shadow of the Torturer is the first in a 4 part series. Also, I got into a SF kick recently and would highly recommend a newer book, The Windup Girl (probably cheaper at the bookstore too - I think it recently came to paperback)

James R said...

Not yet. I'm looking for a copy for less than $70.

Ted said...

I probably should have said this before, but the first two books (and then the second two books) have been combined into one called "Shadow and Claw" - it's only $11 on Amazon

James R said...

Thank you. I'm not sure I would have ever discovered that. I ordered the book.