Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Way Off Topic: Search for a lost author

As I was helping my dad pack for the big move out of the house, I came upon many treasures from my childhood. One was a Latin phrase book that Pop bought me when I was about 7 (Amo, Amas, Amat, and More - I think I was brain washed from a young age to love the classics, but that's another story). I also found a copy of the N.C. Wyeth illustrated Robin Hood book, pictured here. As I was flipping through the pages (mainly just looking at the pictures) I suddenly wondered who this Paul Creswick was. A quick Google search came up with little. He seemed to have lived during the late 19th century and was possibly an author of children's books. More searching, and still nothing. It's interesting that there seems to be very little information about this author, although his book continues to be reprinted (obviously because of the Wyeth illustrations). So my quest continues to discover the identity of Paul Creswick, what happened to him, and why he wrote his famous Robin Hood book.

1 comment:

James R said...

My best guess is that he had something to do with the CIA or Area 51. I keep saying all knowledge is on the internet, but perhaps I will now say, "All knowledge is on the internet except information about Paul Creswick."

From two source that you probably found:

About Paul Creswick
Paul Creswick is a published author of children's books. Some of the published credits of Paul Creswick include Robin Hood (1917).


and

Does ANYBODY have any accurate lineage for these two men?

I have found a short biography for James Paul Creswick, who wrote one of the versions of Robin Hood, among many other books. It said he was the geat-nephew of William Creswick the actor.

Using census records, LDS info and Google, I have made a tentative tree for these two men, but it's full of holes.

I do not show William the actor as having any children and his brother James as being the ancestor of James Paul.

William the actor appears in Scotland visiting on one census and I never find him with his actress wife Elizabeth Page.

One email suggested he had daughters named Ada Florence and Juliet. I never find these girls living with him, although it is quite possible they were born between censuses and their mother left him. But I don't find them elsewhere on census records, either.

I hesitate to put the line I created here because it is so iffy. I do think they came by way of Surrey since William even ran a theatre there.

HELP!