Sunday, June 12, 2011

Buckle Up Your Boots and Other Stories

Preface
George Santayana,* (Hispanic) American Philosopher and Lampoon staff member, said "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." I've discovered a corollary, "Even repeated (and repeated and repeated) histories are not learned." It is hoped that this series will provide a remedy.
I will attempt to relate these tales in the author's own words as best I can.

Bill and Marion Schulte were my parents' next door neighbors. They had two sons who were younger than me. Their boys went to Newark Academy. Bill Schulte was the merchandising manager for Kresge's Department Store in Newark and a great friend of my father. He often would come into the house and go straight to the refrigerator and grab a beer. I don't think he ever drank anything else. One day he went to a baseball game and it poured down rain. Sitting in the rain he got sopping wet. He caught pneumonia and died only a few days latter.

After her husband died Marion Schulte went to work in the hat department at Kresge's. I remember before my wedding she helped me pick out a hat for my 'Going Away' outfit.



*Note that Santayana was not only on the Harvard Lampoon (largely as a cartoonist), but also was a member of ten other organizations including a founding member of the Harvard Monthly, president of the Philosophical Club, and the Hasty Pudding.

No comments: